Cubano Hot Dogs
All the elements of a Cuban sammie wrapped up in a hot dog bun! Grilling the dogs or knocks really brings out their flavor.
- 8 pork or beef hot dogs or knockwursts
- 8 good-quality hot dog rolls or soft hoagie or 6-inch sub rolls, split
- Yellow mustard
- 1 can hot pickled jalapeños or mild green chili peppers (4 ounces), drained well and finely chopped
- 8 slices mild deli ham
- 8 thin slices good-quality Swiss cheese
- 8 homemade or store-bought pickle spears
Heat griddle pan or cast iron skillet over medium-high heat. Split the dogs or knocks lengthwise and open them up like a book. Grill them up until crispy on both sides.
Pre-heat the broiler.
Arrange the split rolls on a baking sheet. Top the rolls with lots of mustard, chopped chili peppers, ham and Swiss cheese. Broil just long enough to melt the cheese.
Place the dogs or knocks on top of the melted cheese in the rolls and fill the crevice with a pickle spear.