Cucumber and Celery Salad
Marinated veggies and roasted red peppers combine with celery and cucumber for a tangy salad that is a great alternative to regular mixed greens. Try serving with Hungarian-ish Mini-Dumpling and Egg Noodle Soup.
- 3 tablespoons pickle relish
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar or red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 English (seedless) cucumber, quartered lengthwise and sliced into 1/2-inch slices (you can use a regular cucumber, but seed it and if the skin is waxy, peel it)
- 5-6 ribs celery from the heart, sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1/4 cup chopped hot or roasted red peppers or 1/2 small fresh bell pepper, whichever you have on hand
- 1 small jar marinated mushrooms or artichoke hearts or 1 cup giardiniera (pickled vegetable salad), chopped
- Salt and pepper
Place relish in the bottom of a bowl. Whisk in vinegar, followed by EVOO (eyeball it). Add cucumber, celery, peppers and marinated vegetables of choice to the bowl. Toss salad and adjust salt and pepper, to taste.