Danish Lunch Box Smorbrod
In Denmark, little open-faced sandwiches (that means they have no tops on them) are lunchtime and snack time favorites of kids and grown-ups alike! Try a mix-n-match of these three sammies and your box will rock – Danish-style!
- 3 slices of whole grain, pumpernickel or rye bread
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 slice ham or smokey salami
- 1 teaspoon raspberry or red currant all fruit spread
- 1 slice herb-roasted turkey breast
- 1 thin slice of fontina cheese or Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons soft cream cheese or spreadable goat cheese
- A sprinkle of chopped dill, fresh or dried
- 1 radish, sliced
- 4 slices of cucumber
Top one slice of bread with 1/2 tablespoon butter mixed with 1/4 teaspoon of paprika and one slice ham or smokey salami. Cut into four squares.
Top 1 slice of bread with 1/2 tablespoon butter mixed with raspberry or red currant fruit spread and top with one slice of turkey and fontina. Cut into four squares.
Spread cream cheese or goat cheese on one slice of bread and top with dill, radish and cucumber. Cut into four squares.
Pack up some celery sticks and baby carrots to munch along with your smorbrod lunch!
This is one of many “Yum-o!” recipes – it’s good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael’s nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.