Decadent Chocolate Cups with Whipped Cream (Pots de Crème)
Delight your honey with this intimate dessert.
- 2 teacups or small champagne glasses
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons sugar, divided
- A pinch of salt
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons Frangelico (hazelnut liqueur) or Grand Marnier (orange liquor)
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- Edible flowers (found in the produce department) or candied violets, for garnish (optional)
Heat the milk in a small pan over moderate heat until it comes to a boil. In a blender or food processor using the low setting, combine the egg, 2 tablespoons of sugar, a pinch of salt, the semisweet chips and the liqueur.. Pour in the boiling milk in a slow stream. The hot milk will cook the egg and melt the chocolate. Process or blend for 1 minute, until smooth. Spoon into two teacups and chill.
When ready to serve, whisk the cream until soft peaks form, about 1-2 minutes, then sprinkle in the remaining 1 tablespoon sugar and whisk to combine. Top the chocolate filled teacups with whipped cream and garnish each cup with an edible flower or candied violet. Place the cups on saucers and serve with teaspoons.