Deviled Chicken with Deviled Egg and Potato Salad
Prepare a perfect picnic plate for your family with devilish accents.
For the chicken:
- About 1/4 cup hot sauce, such as Frank’s Red Hot
- About 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- About 2 tablespoons yellow or Dijon mustard
- About 1/4 cup red onion, grated
- 3-4 cloves garlic, crushed
- About 1/3-1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Poultry seasoning (freshly ground) or kosher salt and coarse black pepper
For the egg and potato salad:
- 2 1/2-3 pounds medium potatoes, peeled
- Salt and pepper
- 6 large hard-boiled egg yolks plus 4 whole hard-boiled eggs
- 2-3 tablespoons hot sauce, for medium to spicy heat level
- 3 tablespoons yellow or Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 small onion, grated with its juices
- 1 tablespoon sweet paprika
- 2 large cloves garlic, pasted
- About 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- Garnishes: finely chopped parsley, chili peppers and sliced sweet pickle chips
For the chicken, combine the hot sauce, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, grated red onion, garlic and EVOO in a reasealable plastic bag. Season the chicken with poultry seasoning or salt and pepper, add to the plastic bag and marinate for 1 to several hours.
For the potato salad, place the potatoes in a pot, cover with water, bring to a boil, add salt and potatoes and cook to tender. Drain the potatoes and place them back in the hot pot to dry. Transfer to a baking sheet to quick-cool, breaking them up with a wooden spoon into a chunky mash.
Meanwhile, mash the egg yolks well with a fork. Add the hot sauce, mustard, relish, Worcestershire sauce, grated onion, paprika, garlic, salt and pepper and stir to combine well. Add the mayo and stir; add the warm potatoes and combine. Adjust the salt and pepper, to taste; garnish with finely chopped parsley, chili peppers and sliced sweet pickles. Slice the remaining whole hard boiled eggs into wedges and arrange on top of the salad.
Heat a grill pan or outdoor grill to medium-high heat and cook the chicken for 12-15 minutes, until cooked through.
Serve the chicken with egg and potato salad alongside.