Deviled Easter Eggs
Rach adds adorable touches to her “straight up” recipe for deviled hatched eggs.
- 1 dozen large organic eggs
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- 1 clove garlic, pasted or grated
- 2 tablespoons pickle relish, such as Heinz brand
- About 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon mustard, yellow or Dijon
- 2 teaspoons-1 tablespoon hot sauce
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 3-4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Thinly sliced red chili pepper, such as small Fresno chili peppers, for garnish
- 24 capers, for garnish
Place the eggs in a pot, cover with water and bring to a full boil. Turn off the heat, cover the pot and let stand for 10 minutes. Drain the water and crack the eggs by shaking the pot. Run the eggs under cold water until cool enough to handle.
Peel the eggs and trim the tops. Remove the yolks to present the eggs upright. You should have 12 upright eggs.
To the hard-boiled egg yolks, add grated onion, grating directly over bowl to catch the onion juice, garlic, relish, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, hot sauce, salt, pepper, paprika and mayonnaise – a few tablespoons to start – mash to very smooth, adding a bit more mayonnaise if too dry.
Cut a corner off a plastic bag and fill with the deviled filling. Pipe into the egg whites and garnish with a thinly sliced red chili pepper for the beak and 2 capers per egg for the eyes. Top with trimmed egg tops.