Devilish Sloppy Chicken Mini Sammies
- 12 bake-off dinner rolls, any brand
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon smoked paprika, divided
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 pounds ground chicken
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium to large onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons grill seasoning, such as McCormick brand Montreal Chicken Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (eyeball it)
- 1 can tomato sauce (8 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 rounded tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 1/2 cup water
Heat the oven as directed on the package of bake-off rolls. Arrange the rolls on a nonstick cookie sheet and sprinkle the rolls with about one teaspoon (1/3 palmful) of smoked paprika. Bake the rolls until golden and soft, then remove.
While the rolls cook, heat a deep nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the vegetable oil, about two turns of the pan, then melt the butter into the oil and add the chicken. Crumble and brown the meat for 3-4 minutes, then add in the garlic and onions. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon smoked paprika and 2 tablespoons of grill seasoning to the chicken. Continue to cook over medium-high heat.
Mix the hot sauce, tomato sauce, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar and mustard in a small bowl, then stir into the meat and reduce the heat to low. Stir in about 1/2 cup water to keep the mix loose as it simmers. Simmer gently for 10 minutes. Split the rolls, scoop chicken into them and serve.