Double-High Turkey and Portobello Patty Melts
Savor a double cheeseburger with half the calories and twice the taste.
For the turkey burgers:
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- 2–3 tablespoons onion, grated
- 2 tablespoons chives, chopped
- 2 tablespoons flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon poultry seasoning
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
For the portobellos:
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 large portobello mushrooms, sliced on an angle 1/4-inch thick
- 1 large shallot, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1/3 cup dry sherry or Marsala wine (optional)
For the bread:
- Softened butter
- 8 slices pullman or sourdough bread
- 8 slices Jarlsberg cheese or Emmentaler cheese
Make the turkey burgers: In a bowl, combine all of the turkey burger ingredients except the EVOO. Form the mixture into four thin patties. In a skillet, heat 1 tablespoon EVOO. Add the patties and cook, turning once, for 8-10 minutes.
Make the portobellos: In another skillet, heat 3 tablespoons EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms and brown for 10 minutes. Add the shallot, thyme, salt and pepper; cook to soften, 5-8 minutes. Deglaze with the sherry, if using.
Wipe out a skillet and place it over medium-high heat. Spread the butter on one side of each bread slice. Layer each of four bread slices, buttered side out, with one cheese slice, a burger, some mushrooms, another cheese slice and another bread slice, buttered side out. Fry the melts in the skillet over medium heat until golden.
This is one of many “Yum-o!” recipes – it’s good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael’s nonprofit organization, visit