Double Mushroom and Marsala Cream Fettuccine
Marsala wine and mushrooms add flavor to this fettuccine favorite.
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms (a generous handful)
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound fettuccine pasta
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh sage or 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1/2 cup marsala wine
- 1/2 cup heavy cream (eyeball it)
- 1 cup grated pecorino-romano cheese, plus more to pass around the table
In a medium saucepan, combine the chicken stock and porcinis and let steep over low heat.
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain.
While the pasta is working, in a large skillet, heat the EVOO, 4 turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the creminis and cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, about 8 minutes; season with salt, pepper and the sage. Stir in the marsala and cook for 1 minute.
Using a slotted spoon, remove the porcinis. Strain the chicken stock and reserve 2 cups. Finely chop the porcinis and add to the cremini mixture; stir in the reserved chicken stock. Stir in the cream and cook until thickened, about 10 minutes. Add the pasta and cheese and toss.