Easy Cheesy Soup with Smoked Paprika
Hot, cheesy veggie soup is a satisfying and simple meal any night of the week.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 2 ribs celery with leafy tops, finely chopped
- 1 red chili pepper, seeded and very finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 rounded tablespoon smoked sweet paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 rounded tablespoons flour
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 3 cups shredded Gouda cheese
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Thinly sliced scallions, for garnish
- Warm toasted crusty bread, for dipping
In a large soup pot, melt the butter over medium-heat. Add the onion, carrots, celery, chili pepper and garlic; season with salt, pepper, paprika and bay. Partially cover the pan and soften the veggies, 7-8 minutes.
Stir in the flour, cook for a minute or so, then whisk in the milk and stock. Bring to a bubble and thicken to a thin-sauce consistency. Stir in the cheese and simmer, partially covered, 15-20 minutes. Stir in the parsley, adjust the seasonings and serve garnished with scallions and crusty bread alongside for dipping.