Eggs in Hell
Mario has shared this recipe with us from his book,
Mario Tailgates NASCAR Style.
These spicy guys will wake you up in more ways than one. The other great thing about this dish is that it serves well at room temperature, so there is no rushing around like catch-can guy when the eggs are finished. They can just sit on the table ’til everyone is ready to eat.
- 4 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
- 6 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 jalapeño peppers, seeded and cut into 1/4 inch dice
- 1 teaspoon hot chili flakes
- 3 cups basic tomato sauce
- 8 farm fresh eggs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano or Pecorino Romano cheese
Place a skillet, preferably cast iron, on a grill over medium-high heat. Add the olive oil and heat until just smoking. Add the chopped onion, garlic, jalapeños and chili flakes and cook until softened and light brown, about 7 minutes.
Add the tomato sauce and bring to a boil. Immediately lower the heat to a simmer and carefully crack the eggs one by one into the tomato sauce.
Cook until as set as desired. I like it when the whites set but the yolks are still quite runny, about 5-6 minutes.
Remove the pan from the heat and sprinkle with cheese. Allow to cool 3-4 minutes before serving.