End of Summer Chili Pot
This pot of chili uses up all the veggies from your garden before the frost takes over.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 pound ground beef, pork or turkey
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 chilies, seeded and chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 3 ears corn, kernels scraped off
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon sweet smoked paprika
- 1 bottle beer (12 ounces)
- 1 can diced fire-roasted tomatoes (28 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- Grated peel and juice of 1 lime
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 cup shredded Gouda, smoked Gouda, pepper Jack or smoked cheddar cheese
In a large, heavy pot, heat the EVOO, two turns of the pan, over medium-high heat until smoking. Add the beef and cook, stirring to break it up, until browned, about 8 minutes. Stir in the onion, garlic, zucchini, bell pepper and chilies; season with salt and pepper. Stir in the corn kernels, chili powder and paprika. Cook until the veggies are softened, 6-7 minutes.
Stir in the beer and cook until reduced slightly, 2 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes, thyme and lime peel and cook until slightly reduced, 5 minutes. Turn off the heat, then stir in the lime juice. To serve, top the chili with the scallions and cheese.