Fall Fruit Individual Crostatas
Everyone will love these mini bites of fall fruit flavors!
- 2 Empire, Gala or Honey crisp apples, peeled and sliced
- 1/4 cup dried sweetened cranberries
- 2 slightly under-ripe brown-skinned pears, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- A little freshly grated nutmeg
- A pinch of ground cloves or allspice
- A pinch of ground ginger
- A pinch of salt
- 2 store-bought pie crusts
- A sprinkle of flour
- 2 tablespoons cold butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 egg, beaten with a splash of water
Pre-heat the oven to 400˚F. Arrange two racks near the center of the oven.
Combine the apples, cranberries and pears in a bowl. Toss with the lemon juice, cornstarch, brown sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves or allspice, ginger and a pinch of salt.
Roll the dough out a bit on a lightly floured surface. Cut each pie crust into four large wedges. Cover two baking sheets with parchment paper and arrange four wedges of dough on each sheet. Arrange 1/8 of the fruit mixture on each wedge. Fold the edges of each wedge in about an inch, leaving the center of each wedge exposed. Dot the exposed fruit with butter. Brush the exposed crust with egg wash. Bake for 12-15 minutes, until golden. Cool for 10 minutes. Serve warm.
These crostatas are a Yum-o! Family-Friendly “treat.” At Yum-o!, we believe in all things in moderation. Special treats like this dessert are to be eaten once in a while and only after you’ve been a good eater the rest of the time. That’s why it’s called a treat! To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael’s nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.