Fancy Fake-Out: Chicken Version
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus extra for drizzling, divided
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut in half
- 8 slices prosciutto
- 2 medium red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 small bulbs fennel, fronds removed and discarded, bulb cored and thinly sliced
- 2 stalks celery, thinly sliced on a bias
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 cloves garlic, 2 thinly sliced, 1 peeled and left whole, divided
- Salt and ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 28-ounce can whole tomatoes
- 1 loaf ciabatta, split in half lengthwise and cut into four chunks
- 2 tablespoons chopped tarragon
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup balsamic drizzle, optional
Pre-heat oven to 400ºF.
Place a large skillet over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons.
Spread the prosciutto slices out on the counter and place a chicken breast half onto each piece. Season chicken with salt and pepper and a tiny drizzle of EVOO, then roll it up in the prosciutto.
Place the wrapped chicken into the hot pan seam side down and cook until golden brown, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer the meat to the oven until cooked through, about 5 minutes.
At the same time the chicken goes into the oven, toss in the loaf of ciabatta to toast it. When the ciabatta comes out of the oven, rub the cut sides with the clove of garlic and drizzle lightly with EVOO.
With the chicken working, place another large skillet over medium-high heat with 2 turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add the onion, fennel, celery, bay leaves and sliced garlic to the pan, and season with salt and pepper. Cook the veggies until tender, about 5 minutes. Add the chicken stock and white wine, and reduce for about 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes, bring up to a bubble and cook until reduced, about 5 minutes. Remove pan from heat, discard the bay leaves and stir in the herbs.
To serve, lay a piece of toasted bread down into each bowl and top each with a couple of scoops of veggie stew. Lay a piece of chicken down onto each plate and drizzle with some of the balsamic drizzle, if using.