Fennel and Onion Chicken
This 30 Minute Meal is easy to prepare but incorporates sophisticated flavors.
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 2 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breasts, halved crosswise
- 4 pieces boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 2 tablespoons flour, plus more for coating, divided
- 1 large bulb fennel, thinly sliced, plus a small handful of fennel fronds, chopped
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3/4 to 1 cup dry white wine (eyeball it)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- A handful of flat leaf parsley, chopped
In a large skillet over medium-high heat, heat 2 tablespoons EVOO, two turns of the pan. Season the chicken with salt, pepper, poultry seasoning and the fennel seeds. Coat the chicken lightly with flour. Add the chicken to the pan and cook, turning once, until golden, 8 minutes. Transfer to a plate and reserve.
Add the remaining 2 tablespoons EVOO, fennel, fennel fronds, onion and garlic to the pan. Season with salt and pepper and cook for 10 minutes. Add the wine, scraping the bottom of the pan. Add the reserved chicken back to the pan and cook through, about 5 minutes.
Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Add the butter to melt, then add the pine nuts and cook for 1 minute. Stir in 2 tablespoons flour and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the chicken stock and Worcestershire sauce and cook until thickened, 2-3 minutes.
To serve, pour the sauce over the chicken, top with parsley and serve with some of the fennel and onions alongside.