Fennel, Peppper & Onion Fusilli
Fennel gives a distinctive, delicious taste to pasta with peppers and onions. Top with grated Parmigiano-Reggiano.
- Salt and pepper
- 1 pound fusilli
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus more for serving
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1 bulb fennel–quartered, cored and sliced
- 1 onion, quartered lengthwise and sliced crosswise
- 1 cubanelle pepper–halved, seeded and sliced
- 3 – 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 can Italian plum tomatoes (29 ounces)
- 1/2 cup torn basil
- Grated Parmigiano-Reggiano, for serving
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving a ladleful of the pasta cooking water.
While the pasta is working, in a large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons EVOO and the butter over medium-high heat. Stir in the fennel seeds for 1 minutes. Add the fennel, onion, cubanelle and garlic; season with salt and pepper. Cook until softened, 5 minutes. Stir in the tomatoes and basil. lower the heat and simmer until thickened, 20 minutes. Stir int he reserved pasta cooking water.
Toss the pasta with the sauce. Top with cheese and more EVOO.