Figure-Friendly Chicken Parm Subs
If you like these subs, you’ll want to try Rach’s Eggplant Parm Subs, too!
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 2-3 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- 1 packed cup dry sundried tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 can chopped tomatoes (15 ounces)
- 1 cup basil, roughly chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1/2 cup Parmigiano Reggiano cheese, grated
- 4 sub rolls, split open (but not all the way through), regular or whole grain
- 8 slices fresh mozzarella cheese
Pre-heat the broiler.
Place a medium size skillet over medium heat with two turns of the pan of EVOO, about 2 tablespoons. Add the garlic to the pan and cook gently until aromatic and light golden brown, about 2 minutes. Add the sundried tomatoes, stock and some salt and pepper to the pan (the stock should cover the tomatoes) and simmer until the tomatoes have plumped up and softened, about 15-20 minutes. Add the can of tomatoes to the pan, then transfer the mixture to a food processor and puree. Add the chopped basil, season with salt and pepper and reserve warm back in the skillet.
Return the sauce to the skillet and add in the rotisserie chicken. Simmer until the chicken has heated through, 2-3 minutes, then remove the pan from the heat and stir in the Parmigiano Reggiano cheese. Divide the mixture between the sub rolls and top with a slice or two of mozzarella. Pop the sandwiches under the broiler until the cheese is melted and golden brown.
Serve with a Romaine salad and a few olive oil potato chips alongside.
This is one of many “Yum-o!” recipes – it’s good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael’s nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.