Fillet a la Veracruzana
This can be made with chicken or fish – your choice! Serve with Yellow Rice – Arroz Amarillo.
- 4 fillets of chicken or fish (snapper or tilipia)
- Salt and pepper
- Flour to dredge
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
- 1/2 large Spanish onion, sliced
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, cut into half-inch slices, lengthwise
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 large plum tomatoes, cut lengthwise into eight wedges
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 cup cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado, pit removed and sliced
Season the fillets with salt and pepper and dredge in flour. Shake off any excess.
Heat 2 tablespoons of EVOO in a pan over high heat. When the pan is hot, add the floured fillets and cook until golden on one side. Flip the fillets and cook until golden on the other side.
Heat 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil in a pan and add the onions, peppers and garlic. Cook until fragrant, then add the tomatoes and capers and heat through. Add the lime juice, cilantro and salt and pepper to taste.
Remove fillets to plate and top with vegetables. Serve with Yellow Rice – Arroz Amarillo and garnish with a slice of avocado.