Fleur’s Summer Plum Cake
Use oval plums, sometimes called Italian plums, which have a consistency similar to a grape. You can also use cherries instead.
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 pound sweet butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup flour
- Cooking spray, for greasing the baking pan
- 20 small purple oval (Italian) plums, split in half and pitted or cherries (oval plums are only in season for 3 weeks from the end of summer ’til early fall)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2-1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Vanilla or butter pecan ice cream, for serving
Pre-heat the oven to 350°F.
Blend the first five ingredients in a medium size bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until well combined. Add the flour and stir by hand until just combined.
Transfer the batter into a square baking pan that has been greased or sprayed with cooking spray.
Place the plums into the batter on their sides, sleeping close together in rows. Combine the cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle the mixture over the batter and plums.
Bake for 40 minutes. Do not overbake.
Serve warm with vanilla or butter pecan ice cream.