Frank and Beans Casserole
It’s franks and beans, corn dogs and chili dogs all in one!
- 2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3 packages of fat, ballpark-style, all-beef hot dogs, sliced on a slight angle (you can also use turkey or tofu dogs, if you like)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cups tomato sauce (15 ounces)
- 4 cans (16 ounces each) or 1 family-size can baked beans (64 ounces)
- 2 boxes corn muffin mix, such as Jiffy brand (8 1/2 ounces each)
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons butter (1/2 stick), melted
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (about a palmful)
- 1/4 cup chives, chopped or snipped
- 2 cups cheddar cheese, shredded
Pre-heat oven to 400°F.
Place a large, oven-safe, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat; add EVOO. Add the sliced hot dogs to the pan and brown, about 6-8 minutes. Add the chopped onion and cook for about 3-4 minutes.
Combine molasses, Worcestershire sauce and tomato sauce in a small bowl and add to the skillet.
Add the baked beans and bring up to a simmer.
While the hot dog mixture is coming up to a simmer, mix the two packages of muffin mix together with eggs, melted butter, milk, chili powder, chives and the cheese.
Pour the mix over the top of the hot dog mixture in the skillet. Place skillet in the oven and bake until cornbread is light golden in color, 12-15 minutes.