French Onion Chips and Dip
Fresh veggie chips go great with this French onion dip, and it’s easy to carry this treat to friends and family for a get-totogether.
For the dip:
- 1 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 medium onions, quartered lengthwise, then very thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cube beef bouillon
- 1/2 cup water
- Black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground thyme (1/3 palmful)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce (eyeball it)
- 2 cups sour cream
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened in microwave for 20 seconds on high
- A pinch of salt (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chives (5-6 blades), chopped
For the chips:
- 2 sacks chips, such as Terra brand Onion and Garlic flavor Yukon Gold chips or other specialty chips of your choice
- 2 large carrots, peeled, then very thinly sliced on a heavy angle
- 1 very firm medium size zucchini, very thinly sliced on a heavy angle
Place a medium size skillet over medium to medium high heat and add the EVOO, a turn of the pan, and the butter. Melt the butter into the EVOO, then add the onions and garlic and cook for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the bouillon cube to the pan with 1/2 cup water and cook until it “melts,” coating the onions, stirring frequently, 3 minutes. Season the onions with pepper, thyme and Worcestershire sauce. Remove from the heat and transfer to a plate to quick-cool a bit.
In a medium size bowl, mix together the sour cream and softened creamed cheese using a rubber spatula. Stir in the onion mixture until completely combined; add salt if necessary and adjust your seasonings. Serve at room temperature or chill. Garnish with chives.
Pack up the chips as-is. Season the fresh veggie chips with salt and pack up in a sealable plastic bag with a paper towel to capture excess moisture. If serving at home, salt the vegetables in single layer, let stand for 5 minutes, then pat dry. Arrange the chips and vegetable chips around the dip and serve.