French-Style Tuna Melts ii
Fabulous French ingredients add flair to a tuna melt.
- 1/2 red small onion, finely chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 clove garlic, finely grated or minced
- 1 teaspoon herbes de Provence
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 can line-caught or Italian tuna (6 ounces)
- 1/2 cup Niçoise (oil-cured) or kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley leaves (a handful), finely chopped
- 2 slices thick-cut brioche bread
- 1/2 cup Gruyère cheese, shredded
Pre-heat the oven to 375°F.
Combine the onion and lemon juice in a mixing bowl.
In the same bowl, stir together the tomato paste, garlic, herbes de Provence, pepper and EVOO. Add the tuna, olives, capers and parsley and mix to combine and break up the tuna slightly.
Divide the tuna mixture between the two slices of bread, transfer to a baking sheet and top with the cheese. Toast in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the tuna is heated through.
This is one of many “Yum-o!” recipes – it’s good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael’s nonprofit organization, go to www.yum-o.org.