Fruit & Nut Pilaf
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup broken thin spaghetti (1-inch pieces)
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1 small carrot, finely chopped
- 2 ribs celery, finely chopped
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 medium orange, zest grated to get 1 teaspoon, flesh supremed (see Heads-Up) or chopped
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup halved seedless red grapes
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted walnuts
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley leaves
- Salt and pepper
In a medium saucepan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the spaghetti and toast until deeply golden in color. Add the rice, carrot, celery, scallions, and orange zest and stir to coat. Stir in the stock and bring to a boil. Cover the pot, reduce the heat to a simmer, and cook until the rice is tender, 16 to 18 minutes.
Fluff with fork and stir in the orange flesh, grapes, walnuts, parsley, and salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving bowl.
Heads-up: To “supreme” an orange, remove the rind and slice off the membrane underneath. With a small sharp knife, cut an either side of the orange segments to release them from the membranes.