Garlic and Oil Spaghetti with Greens
Budget-friendly and delicious!
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 pound whole wheat or whole grain spaghetti
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 6 anchovy fillets (optional)
- 6 large cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 1 bunch scallions, finely chopped
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, stemmed and shredded
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 pinch nutmeg
Bring a large pot of water to a boil, salt it, add the pasta and cook until al dente. Drain, reserving a ladleful of the pasta cooking water.
In a large skillet, heat the EVOO, four turns of the pan, over medium heat. Stir in the anchovies, if using, until melted. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until lightly golden, about 3 minutes. Add the scallions and cook, stirring, for 1 minute. Stir in the Swiss chard and crushed red pepper, cover and cook until wilted, 3 minutes. Add the nutmeg and season with black pepper.
Stir the reserved pasta cooking water into the chard mixture. Add the pasta and toss.