Garlicky Chicken Kiev with Herb Salad
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 1 stick butter, softened at room temp
- 1/4 cup green garlic, finely chopped or 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- A small handful (6 to 8) ramps or 2 to 3 spring onions or 4 scallions, well-trimmed and finely chopped
- 2 spring onions or 4 thin scallions, well-trimmed and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons thyme, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 4 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breast
- About 1/2 cup flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup panko or homemade breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup fine breadcrumbs
- A sprinkle freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano or parmesan cheese
- About 1/4 cup canola, grapeseed or olive oil
- 1 bundle upland cress or baby arugula, trimmed and picked
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 1/2 cup flat-leaf parsley tops
- 1/4 cup tarragon, leaves picked
- 2 cups baby greens of any kind
- Juice of 1/2 lemon plus wedges to serve
- EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling
Combine softened butter with garlic, ramps, spring onions, thyme, lemon zest and salt in a food processor. Scrape onto parchment paper and roll into a log, twisting ends to wrap butter log tightly. Refrigerate to firm or freeze 30 minutes.
Cut deep pockets into each piece of chicken breast with a small, sharp knife. Cut 4 discs of butter about 3/4-inch thick and nest one into each chicken breast in the cut pockets.
Arrange 3 dishes: one with flour, another with the beaten eggs and the third with panko and breadcrumbs with cheese & a little nutmeg. Season each dish with salt and pepper. Bread the chicken, coating them in flour, then egg and ending with breadcrumbs.
Heat oil, 4 turns of the pan, in a wide, shallow skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Cook the chicken 12-15 minutes, turning occasionally.
Combine greens and dress with lemon juice, a drizzle of EVOO and season with salt.
Serve Kiev with lemon wedges and greens alongside.