Gnocchi with Spinach and Gorgonzola
This cheesy dish is loaded with iron. Popeye would love it!
- 2 packages gnocchi (17 ounces each)
- 3/4 cup walnut halves, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 large cloves garlic, grated
- 2 boxes frozen chopped spinach (10 ounces each), defrosted
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 pound Gorgonzola crumbles
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable stock
Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat to cook the gnocchi. Once boiling, add some salt and the gnocchi, and cook according to package directions.
Place a small skillet over medium heat with the chopped walnuts. Toast the nuts, tossing them frequently in the pan until they are golden brown and smell toasted.
Remove from the heat and reserve.
While the water is coming up to a boil and the nuts are toasting, place a medium size skillet with EVOO over low heat. Grate the garlic over the pan and gently cook in the EVOO for a minute or two, shaking the skillet every now and then. Add the spinach and toss to combine with the EVOO, then season with a little bit of salt and a lot of pepper. Add the chicken stock and bring up to a bubble. Once the stock is simmering, add the gorgonzola crumbles and toss until the cheese is nice and melted.
Add the gnocchi to the skillet and toss to coat.
Ladle gnocchi into serving bowls, sprinkle with the toasted chopped walnuts and serve.