Gran’pa Emmanuel’s Macaroni with Sausage and Cannellini
Mix it up with hot and sweet sausage in this hearty pasta recipe from Rach’s Grandpa Emmanuel. This recipe makes generous servings!
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1/2-2/3 pound bulk sweet Italian sausage
- 1/2-2/3 pound bulk hot Italian sausage
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 can chunky-style crushed tomatoes (28-32 ounces)
- 1 can cannellini beans, rinsed and drained
- 20 leaves fresh basil, torn
- 1 pound ziti rigate (with lines), cooked to al dente
- Crusty bread and grated Parmigiano Reggiano or Romano cheese, for passing at table
Heat a large, deep nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Drizzle in EVOO, about one turn of the pan, and add sausage. Break up meat as it browns. Add garlic and onion and cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add tomatoes and beans and simmer 2-3 minutes. Remove pan from heat and fold in basil to wilt.
Combine sausage mixture with cooked macaroni and serve immediately with grated Parmigiano Reggiano or Romano and crusty bread.
Note: If your butcher counter does not have bulk sausage, buy links and split casings to remove bulk sausage meat.