Green Bean and Potato Salad
Mix this classic combo with a bacon-based vinaigrette for a delicious salad or side. Serve with Salmon and Dill Chowder with a Pastry Crust.
- Kosher salt
- 1/3 pound thin green beans, trimmed and cut into thirds
- 2 pounds small Yukon Gold, white or red potatoes, quartered
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus more for drizzling
- 3-4 slices smoky bacon, finely chopped
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 1 small red Fresno chili pepper, seeded and finely chopped (optional)
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar or wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
Bring a medium size pot of water to a boil. Salt the water and blanch the beans for 3-4 minutes, or until crisp-tender. Remove with a slotted spoon or spider; rinse, drain and reserve. Add the potatoes to the water and bring back to a boil. Cook the potatoes until tender, about 12 minutes.
When the potatoes are nearly done, add a drizzle of EVOO to a small skillet and heat over medium-high heat. Add the bacon and crisp for 2-3 minutes, then add the shallots and chili pepper, if using. Cook for 2 more minutes, then stir in the vinegar, sugar and stock.
Drain the potatoes and return them to the hot pot.
Pour the bacon mixture over the potatoes and add the green beans, parsley, salt, pepper and 3 tablespoons EVOO; stir to combine. Serve warm or cold.