Green Chili Corn Waffles with Crispy Chicken
Bacon gravy laced with honey and hot sauce over chili corn waffles? It’s chicken and waffles, Rachael-style! Don’t miss the rest of the recipes featured on Rachael’s Waffle Week!
For the waffles:
- 1 3/4 cups cornmeal
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1 cup fire-roasted frozen corn, defrosted or 2 ears fresh corn on cob (when in season), charred/grilled
- 1 can chili peppers (4 ounces)
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2-1 3/4 cups milk
- 3 tablespoons melted butter, plus some for waffle iron
- 4 boneless, skin-on chicken breasts
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons rosemary, chopped
- 2 tablespoons thyme, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- Juice of 1 lime
For the gravy:
- A drizzle of canola oil or olive oil
- 4 slices smoky bacon, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Black pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1/2-2 cups chicken stock
For the waffles, pre-heat the waffle iron to the highest setting. Whisk together the cornmeal, flour, salt, pepper, sugar and nutmeg. Add the corn, chili peppers, egg, milk and melted butter and stir. Butter the waffle iron and cook the waffles until crispy.
Loosen the skin of the chicken and rub the garlic and herbs across the breasts. Replace the skin and season with salt and pepper.
Add a turn of the pan of oil to a cast iron skillet. Place the chicken skin-side down in the cold skillet, then turn on the heat to medium-high. Weigh the chicken down with another heavy skillet or weighted skillet. Cook for 12 minutes, then turn the chicken and cook for 6 minutes more.
While the chicken cooks, prepare the gravy: Heat a medium size skillet over medium-high heat. Brown the bacon and remove to a plate to drain on a paper towel. Wipe the pan and return to the heat. Melt the butter add some black pepper; whisk the flour into the butter for 1 minute, then whisk in the Worcestershire and stock. Thicken, then add the bacon back to the pan gravy.
Douse the chicken with citrus juice and serve on the waffles with warm honey and hot sauce or the bacon pan gravy.