Green-Olive Chicken and Couscous
This is a great summer supper, combining fresh zucchini, mint and parsley. Of course, it’s delicious any time of the year, too!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 zucchini or summer squash, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons grated peel and juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- A pinch of ground cinnamon
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup green olives, chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock (32 ounces)
- One box instant couscous (10 ounces)
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- 1/4 cup mint leaves, finely chopped
In a skillet with a tight-fitting lid, heat the EVOO, two turns of the pan, over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook until lightly browned, 3-4 minutes. Add the onion, zucchini, garlic, lemon peel, crushed red pepper, fennel seeds and cinnamon; season with salt and pepper. Cook for 5 minutes, then add the olives and cook for 3 minutes more.
Stir in the chicken stock and bring to a boil. Stir in the couscous, cover the pan, turn off the heat and let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and add the parsley, mint and lemon juice; toss.