- 2 cups water
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), 2 turns of the pan
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or dry sherry
- 1 pound triple washed spinach, chopped
- 1 cup loosely packed basil leaves, chopped or torn
- 1/2 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped (a couple of handfuls)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, grated or ground
- 1/2-2/3 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano, (2 or 3 handfuls)
Bring water and stock to a boil, then reduce heat to low to keep warm.
In a large skillet, heat oil and butter over medium to medium-high heat. Add onions and saute 3 minutes. Add arborio rice and saute, 2 or 3 minutes more. Add wine or sherry and allow liquid to absorb, 1 minute. Add 1/2 the stock or broth and reduce heat slightly.
Simmer, stirring frequently until liquid is absorbed, then add more liquid, a few ladles at a time. When liquid cooks out, ladle in a bit more.
When risotto has cooked almost to al dente, about 18 minutes, fold in spinach, basil and parsley. Season risotto with nutmeg, salt and pepper and stir in any remaining broth. Risotto will cook 22 minutes, total. Stir in cheese and serve immediately.