Green Tortilla Chili
Who says chili has to be red?! You’ll love this delicious new take on classic chili.
- 1 rotisserie chicken, stripped and shredded or 1 to 1 1/2 pounds leftover roast turkey meat, shredded
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2-3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 jalapeño, seeded and chopped
- 1 rounded tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 jar tomatillo salsa (16 ounces)
- 1 beer, any brand you like
- 1 quart chicken stock
- 4 handfuls tortilla chips, divided
- 1 handful cilantro leaves
- Juice of 2 limes
Heat a heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat with the EVOO. Cook onions, garlic and jalapeño until soft, about four minutes.
Add chili powder and cumin, and cook for another minute. Add the tomatillo salsa, beer and stock. Bring up to a bubble and add in the shredded chicken. Simmer for 10-15 minutes.
Meanwhile, grind two handfuls of the tortilla chips and the cilantro leaves in a food processor.
Add this mixture to the chili and continue cooking until it thickens, about 8-10 minutes.
Right before spooning into bowls, add in the lime juice and serve with some whole corn tortilla chips alongside.