Grilled Cheese Bar: The Spaniard
Sautéed apples add sweetness and contrast to grilled ham and cheese. Jazz up this sammie with a shot of Calvados. Delicioso!
- Sliced peasant bread or country white bread
- Softened butter
- Serrano ham, thinly sliced
- Gala or Honeycrisp apples, thinly sliced, 1 per every 2 sandwiches
- A pinch of cinnamon
- A pinch of nutmeg
- 1 shot Calvados (apple liquor)
- Sliced mild melting cheese, such as mild cheddar or Monterey Jack
- Thinly sliced Manchego cheese
Butter one side of sliced bread. Heat a skillet over medium-high heat and crisp the ham a slice or two at a time, 30 seconds on each side, and let cool on a paper towel-lined plate. Add the butter to the skillet and sauté the apples to tender crisp. Season with a hint of cinnamon, a little nutmeg and a pinch of salt, then deglaze with Calvados.
Build the sandwiches with soft, mild melting cheese, crispy Serrano ham, apples and Manchego. Grill to golden in a skillet over medium heat covered loosely with foil, then turn and press for 7-8 minutes.