Grilled Cheese with Bacon and Maple Mustard
Maple mustard spread adds zing to grilled double-cheese and hearty bacon sandwiches.
- Good-quality smoky bacon, 3 slices per sandwich, such as Oscar’s Smoke House Bacon
- Good-quality salted butter, melted
- 8 hand-sliced slices white bread, 1/2-inch thick
- 1/2 cup grainy Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup dark amber maple syrup
- 1 1/2 cups shredded super-sharp cheddar or 8 slices white cheddar cheese, such as Oscar’s Smoke House XXX Cheddar
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Gruyère cheese or 8 slices
Pre-heat the oven to 375°F. Place the bacon on a slotted broiler pan and bake to crisp.
Brush one side of each slice of bread liberally with melted butter.
Stir together the Dijon mustard and maple syrup in a small bowl.
Assemble the sandwiches: bread, buttered side out, maple mustard, cheddar, bacon, Gruyère, bread with mustard on inside, buttered side out.
Grill the sandwiches on a nonstick griddle over medium heat until the cheese melts and they’re deeply golden.