Grilled Chicken Reubens on Rolls with Bacon, Swiss and Apple and Fennel Sauerkraut
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 8 slices meaty bacon
- 1/2 small bulb fennel, quartered and thinly sliced
- 1 crisp apple, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1/2 small onion, sliced
- EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling
- 1 pound/jar sauerkraut with caraway, drained (you can find it in the Whole Foods refrigerated section)
4 pieces boneless, skinless chicken breast, butterflied and pounded to 1/4- to 1/2-inch thick
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons grainy Dijon mustard
- 8 slices Emmentaler or Jarlsberg Swiss cheese
- 1 cup Fabanaise or sour cream
- 3 tablespoons pickle relish
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 hoagie rolls, split
Preheat oven to 375°F. Arrange bacon on a slotted pan or a baking rack set into a baking sheet and bake to crisp, about 15 minutes or so.
In a small skillet, sauté the fennel, apples and onion over medium heat in a drizzle of EVOO. Cook to tender-crisp, 7-8 minutes, then add sauerkraut and heat through.
Heat a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with a couple drizzles of EVOO. Add chicken, season with salt and pepper and cook to brown, about 4 minutes; turn over and brush with about 1 tablespoon mustard per cutlet. Top each chicken piece with 2 slices of bacon and cheese; cover with foil to melt cheese then remove from heat.
Combine sour cream, relish, ketchup, Worcestershire in a small bowl.
Build sandwiches: On roll bottoms, place chicken and top with some apple-and-fennel ‘kraut. Smear dressing on roll tops and set in place. Serve with extra dressing on the side.