Grilled Chicken Thighs on a Bed of Beans and Greens
Citrus grilled chicken tops greens and beans seasoned with your favorite herbs.
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus more for drizzling
- Sea salt and pepper
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2-3 tablespoons fresh rosemary (a few sprigs), finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, finely chopped
- 1 head escarole, coarsely chopped
- A little freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 large can white beans (24-28 ounces), rinsed
- 1 wedge Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, for shaving
- Warm, crusty bread, for serving
Pre-heat an outdoor grill or grill pan to medium-high. Pat the chicken dry and drizzle it with EVOO; season with salt and pepper. Grill the chicken, turning, for 12 minutes. Drizzle half of the lemon juice over the chicken as it comes off the grill.
Heat 2 tablespoons EVOO, two turns of the pan, in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the garlic, rosemary and thyme for a minute. Add the escarole and wilt in the pan; season with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Add the stock and beans and simmer until the greens are tender, about 5 minutes. Add the lemon zest and remaining lemon juice.
Serve the beans and greens in shallow bowls or on rimmed plates; top with two pieces of chicken each. Using a vegetable peeler, shave the cheese on top. Serve with the crusty bread.