Grilled Eggplant Panini with Cambozola Blue Cheese, Prosciutto and Arugula
Serve with Sausage, Peppers and Onions Stoup.
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 sprig rosemary
- 1 small-medium firm eggplant, cut into 8 1/2-inch thick slices
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 large pitas or flat breads, halved crosswise
- 2/3 pound wedge blue cheese, cut into 8 slices, such as Cambozola
- 8 slices prosciutto
- 1 cup packed baby arugula
Heat a grill pan to medium-high.
Heat the EVOO in small pot over medium heat with garlic and rosemary to infuse flavor, 3-4 minutes.
Brush the eggplant with the EVOO and season with the salt and pepper. Grill for 2-3 minutes on each side to tenderize. Remove from the heat.
Make sandwiches on split flat breads of two slices each of eggplant, blue cheese, prosciutto and a handful of arugula.
Heat a dry skillet over medium heat. Choose a second skillet that can fit down inside the first and get a few heavy cans ready to weight the top skillet. When the pan is hot, add one flat bread, weight down with the second skillet and cans and cook for 1 minute, then flip and cook a minute more. Repeat the process with the remaining ingredients and serve.