Grilled Escarole Caesar Salad with White Beans
A new twist on Caesar salad with grilled escarole and white beans is perfect for a summer barbecue.
- 2 large heads escarole
- 2 teaspoons anchovy paste
- 2 large cloves garlic, 1 grated or finely chopped, 1 halved
- About 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- Juice of 1 large, ripe lemon
- About 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus more for drizzling
- A generous handful of grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- Lots of pepper
- Olive oil cooking spray
- A few grates of nutmeg
- Ciabatta bread, sliced
- 5 large eggs, hard boiled, then chopped
- One can cannellini beans (15 ounces), rinsed and drained
Pre-heat an outdoor grill or grill pan to medium-high.
Fill the sink with water. Trim the escarole but leave the heads intact, then swish the escarole heads vigorously. Halve the heads and dry them with kitchen towels.
In a shallow bowl, combine the anchovy paste, grated or chopped garlic, Worcestershire sauce and lemon juice. Whisk in about 1/2 cup EVOO, the cheese and pepper.
Coat the escarole lightly with the cooking spray and grill, turning once, until wilted and grill marks appear, about 5 minutes. Season the escarole halves with a little nutmeg and drizzle the anchovy dressing on top, or chop to mix thoroughly with the dressing.
Char the bread slices on the grill, on the grill pan or under a hot broiler. Rub with the halved garlic and drizzle with EVOO. Chop the bread.
Arrange the eggs and the cannellini beans over the halved escarole or toss with the chopped escarole. Serve with the bread.