Grilled Ratatouille Soup with Breaded Ravioli
Breaded raviolis are the perfect addition to this hearty veggie-filled soup!
- 1 head garlic
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling
- 1 stem fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 medium zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch planks
- 1 medium red onion, cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1/2-inch thick planks or rounds
- 4 roasted red peppers, drained
- 1 can diced or whole fire-roasted tomatoes (28 ounces)
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- Olive oil or vegetable oil, for frying
- 1 pound fresh ravioli or defrosted frozen ravioli
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano Reggiano cheese (a couple handfuls)
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, finely chopped (a handful)
Pre-heat the oven to 425˚F.
Cut the head of garlic to expose all of the cloves. Drizzle the EVOO over the cut end to coat the cloves. Press the cut garlic into the rosemary, coating the ends of the cloves completely. Season with salt and pepper, then wrap the garlic head in foil. Roast the garlic for 45 minutes, then let cool.
Mash the cooled roasted garlic into a paste, combining it with the rosemary.
Heat a grill pan over medium-high to high heat. Pour about 1/4 cup EVOO into a dish. Using a pastry brush, brush the vegetables with EVOO and season with salt and pepper. Grill in batches until the zucchini, onion and eggplant are cooked and tender, 3-4 minutes on each side per batch. Coarsely chop the grilled vegetables and roasted red peppers.
In a food processor, in two batches, puree the roasted garlic, grilled vegetables, roasted red pepper and canned fire-roasted tomatoes and stock. Transfer the pureed vegetables to a soup pot. Heat the soup over medium heat, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Heat about 3 cups of frying oil in a medium size high-sided skillet over medium heat. Set up a cooling rack placed over paper towels or a kitchen towel near the stovetop.
Arrange the dishes with the following ingredients: flour, eggs beaten with a splash of water and breadcrumbs mixed with cheese and parsley. Coat the ravioli in the flour, the egg and then the breadcrumbs. Fry in batches, 2 minutes on each side, until golden brown. Transfer to the rack as they finish cooking.
Serve the soup in shallow bowls with a few fried ravioli on top.