Grilled Romesco Sauce
Serve this flavorful sauce with Spanish Fish Tacos or over grilled chicken, steak or fish.
- 1 slice good-quality white bread
- 1 large bulb garlic, end cut to expose all the cloves
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling, plus about 1/3 cup
- Salt and pepper
- 1 red onion, quartered
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 2 chili peppers, such as serrano or Fresno
- 2 ripe vine or plum tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- A small handful of Marcona almonds
- About 1 1/2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
Pre-heat the oven to 400°F and pre-heat the grill to medium-high or pre-heat the broiler.
Toast the bread in the toaster on the medium setting. Once it pops up, let it stand for a few minutes, then toast again.
Cool and dice into croutons.
Dress the garlic with a drizzle of EVOO, salt and pepper and wrap in foil. Roast to tender, 35 minutes; cool and remove the cloves from the skins.
Meanwhile, dress the onion with another drizzle of EVOO and char the onion and peppers on the grill or under a hot broiler. Cool the large peppers in bowl to handle, then wipe off the charred skins and seed. Char the tomatoes and wipe off most of their skins. Add all the ingredients to a food processor, along with the roasted garlic cloves, thyme, almonds, croutons, vinegar and about 1/3 cup EVOO. Pulse into a thick sauce. Serve with Spanish Fish Tacos.
This is one of many “Yum-o!” recipes – it’s good and good for you. To find out more about Yum-o!, Rachael’s nonprofit organization, visit