Grilled Shrimp and Chorizo Skewers with Piquillo Gazpacho
- 16 extra large, 6-8 count, peeled and deveined shrimp
- Coarse salt
- 1 lemon, zested and 1/2 lemon, juiced
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for liberal drizzling
- 1 package chorizo (3/4-pound) cut into 16 thick slices on an angle (such as Gaspar’s brand)
- 1 generous handful flat leaf parsley
- 1 generous handful cilantro leaves
- 2 cloves garlic, cracked from skin
- 1 jar piquillo, Spanish roasted peppers – available in most markets, roasted red peppers may be substituted, (about 1 cup packed), drained
- 1 can fire-roasted tomatoes (28 ounces), diced or crushed
- 1 small yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 seedless cucumber, peeled, chopped
- 2 ribs celery from heart, chopped
- 2 thick slices crusty bread, chopped
- 1 tablespoons hot sauce (such as Tabasco brand) for medium to spicy heat level, adjust to your own taste
Pre-heat grill or grill pan over medium high heat.
Place shrimp in shallow dish and season with salt, lemon juice and a liberal drizzle on EVOO, just enough to coat the shrimp. Skewer 4 shrimp alternating with 4 slices of chorizo on each skewer.
Place 2 tablespoons, a palmful, of parsley on the cutting board with the lemon zest. Add 1/2 palmful of cilantro leaves to the pile as well as 1 clove of garlic. Finely chop this mixture and reserve for sprinkling over shrimp and gazpacho.
Place remaining herbs and garlic in the food processor or a large blender with peppers, tomatoes, chopped vegetables, bread and hot sauce and process until smooth.
Grill shrimp and chorizo 3-4 minutes on each side until shrimp is firm and opaque. Serve small bowls of gazpacho with shrimp skewers resting across the top of the bowls for dipping and dunking. Garnish with reserved parsley, cilantro and garlic mixture.