Grilled Zucchini and Summer Squash with Shaved Pecorino Romano
Rach’s friend Adam Perry Lang has contributed this tasty recipe. The delicious marinade turns grilled squash into something extra special!
For the marinade:
- 1 cup orange juice
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 5 cloves, slivered
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 5 scallions, white parts only, chopped (reserve the green parts for garnish)
- 2 tablespoons shallots, chopped
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
For the vegetables:
- 4 medium zucchini (6 inches long)
- 4 medium yellow squash (6 inches long)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 tablespoons chives, chopped
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- A 6-ounce block of Pecorino Romano cheese, shaved with a vegetable peeler
- 1 tablespoon honey, for drizzling
Blend all the marinade ingredients in a blender, or keep in a bowl and blend with an immersion blender.
Wash the zucchini and yellow squash and dry them. Split them lengthwise into two pieces, then place in a sealable plastic bag with the marinade and let sit at room temperature for 1 hour.
Pre-heat the barbecue or grill to medium heat.
Remove the zucchini and yellow squash from the bag and let them drain, discarding the marinade. Lightly pat with a paper towel, then toss them all in a bowl with the EVOO.
Grill the veggies cut-side down over medium heat for 5 minutes with the barbecue lid closed. Flip over and repeat.
Place the veggies on a platter, then season with the salt, pepper, shaved Pecorino Romano and chopped chives. Finish by drizzling with honey and garnish with the reserved scallion greens.