Ground Turkey Ragu with Tagliatelle
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- About 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey, dark-and-white-meat blend
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, grated or finely chopped
- 1 rib celery with leafy top, finely chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped
- About 2 tablespoons thinly sliced fresh sage
- About 2 tablespoons chopped fresh rosemary
- About 2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
- About 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 28-ounce can whole peeled tomatoes (preferably San Marzano), crushed with your hands
- 1 pound egg tagliatelle or pappardelle
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
In a Dutch oven, heat the olive oil, four turns of the pan, over medium-high. Add the turkey and cook, breaking into pieces with a spoon, until browned, about 5 minutes. Add the onion, carrot, celery, garlic and herbs; season with salt and pepper. Partially cover and cook until the vegetables soften, about 5 minutes. Add the wine and cook until the wine is reduced to about 1/4 cup, about 3 minutes. Add the tomatoes and reduce the heat to medium-low. Partially cover and cook until the sauce thickens, 15-20 minutes. Remove the bay leaf.
Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Salt the water, add the pasta and cook to al dente. Reserve 1/2 cup of the starchy cooking water. Drain the pasta and return it to the pot. Add the butter, half the sauce and the cooking water; toss. Serve topped with more sauce and cheese.
This recipe was featured in the March 2015 issue of Every Day with Rachael Ray magazine.