Heirloom Tomato and Barley Salad
We had 7-Hour Smoked Brisket (page 89), which we served on Amy’s rolls with cheddar cheese, Smoky BBQ Sauce (page 90) and Horseradish Sauce (page 90). We also had My Sweet and Spicy Pickles (page 80), Heirloom Tomato & Barley Salad, and baked beans, which I dressed up with Worcestershire, chopped bacon, and sautéed shallots.
- 1 cup pearled barley
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup seeded, chopped heirloom tomatoes
- 1/2 red onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 bulb fennel, finely chopped
- 1/2 seedless cucumber, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 3 to 4 tablespoons chopped fresh mint
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 1 clove garlic, pasted
- 1/3 cup EVOO
- Juice of 1 lemon
Cook the barley in salted water according to package directions. Drain and cool. Combine it with the tomatoes, onion, fennel, cucumber, parsley, mint, tarragon, garlic, EVOO, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste.