Herb and Egg Scramble with Garlic Toast and Sliced Tomato
Rachael says, “My husband John and I keep a small bottle of truffle oil in the cupboard. We drizzle it on these eggs for an extra-special finish. Try it some time, although the eggs are pretty tasty as-is, too. The recipe easily adjusts, as do the potatoes and the toast in this meal, to feed one or more. Enjoy!”
- 12 eggs, beaten
- 4 ounces garlic and herb cheese, such as Boursin or Alouette brands or cream cheese, cut or crumbled into small pieces
- 3 tablespoons chives, chopped (about 12 blades)
- Salt and black pepper
- A few drops hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter or extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 plum or Roma tomatoes, sliced lengthwise
- Smoked salmon, sliced ham or salami, chopped (optional additions for the eggs)
- 8 slices white, whole wheat, soft sliced Italian or whole grain bread, toasted
- 2 large cloves garlic, cracked away from skin
- 4 tablespoons softened salted butter
Whisk eggs with cheese and chives and season with salt and pepper and a few drops hot sauce.
Pre-heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add butter or EVOO to the pan. Heat butter or EVOO, then add eggs. Add the optional meats, if desired. Scramble to desired consistency and serve with a sliced plum tomato per person, seasoned with salt and pepper, alongside the eggs.
For the toast, rub hot toast with cracked garlic, then butter as usual. Pass garlic toast at the table.