Hot Pepper Chicken-Under-a-Brick
- 4 large bone-in, skin-on chicken legs and thighs or 4 bone-in, skin-on chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 rounded tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), divided
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped banana pepper rings, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons hot pickled pepper juice
- A handful of flat leaf parsley leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon orange marmalade
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 English (seedless) cucumber, thinly sliced
- 4 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch arugula or watercress, cleaned and chopped
- Crusty bread for mopping
Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Combine crushed red pepper flakes, mustard and about 2 tablespoons EVOO in a small dish. Slather the mixture over the skin of the chicken.
Place chicken face down in a nonstick skillet. Set loose foil over chicken, then put a plate or smaller pan on top and weigh it with a brick or heavy cans. Place pan over medium to medium-high heat and cook for 20 minutes, until cooked through. Remove weight, turn chicken over and sprinkle with chopped banana peppers, then douse with pepper juice and top with parsley.
While chicken cooks, whisk together the marmalade, poppy seeds and vinegar and stream in 3 tablespoons of EVOO. Toss cucumber, tomatoes and greens with the dressing and season with salt and pepper.
Serve the chicken with salad and bread.