Hot & Sweet Sausage, Pepper and Onion Hoagies
This recipe originally appeared on the Rachael Ray Show. For more recipes and videos from the show visit RachaelRayShow.com.
- 6 links sweet Italian sausage with fennel
- 6 links hot Italian sausage
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 cubanelle peppers, seeded and sliced
- 1 red frying or field pepper, seeded and sliced
- 2 red chili peppers, such as Fresno or Holland red finger, sliced
- 2 large onions, halved and sliced
- 6 cloves garlic, 4 sliced and 2 crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh oregano, finely chopped or 1 teaspoon dried
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 6- or 8-inch Italian-style hoagie rolls
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 tablespoons parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound deli-sliced provolone, halved into half-moons
Place sausages in a large, nonstick pan in with an inch of water and a drizzle of oil. Bring to boil and let water evaporate; crisp and brown the sausage casings.
Meanwhile, heat another large skillet over medium-high heat with 2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 turns of the pan. Add peppers, onions, sliced garlic, oregano, salt and pepper. Cook to soften, 10-15 minutes. Add tomato paste and stir; add stock and reduce heat to a simmer.
In a small pan, heat remaining olive oil, about 2 tablespoons, with crushed garlic cloves. Melt butter into oil. Open and arrange rolls on a large baking sheet. Preheat broiler with the rack in the center of the oven. Lightly toast rolls, brush them with garlic butter, sprinkle with Parmigiano and parsley, and broil another 1 minute to set cheese.
Slice sausages lengthwise on the bias and combine them with peppers and onions. Fill garlic bread rolls a few slices of provolone and top with sausage, peppers and onions.