Hungarian Roasted Pepper and Paprika Chicken
Roasted red pepper and herb puree in a cream sauce dress up chicken breasts and poppy seed pasta. Make extra, as the chicken and sauce are freezer-friendly.
- 2 red bell peppers
- 1 hot cherry pepper or Fresno chili pepper
- 1 small onion, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 cup flat leaf parsley (a small handful)
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 6 tablespoons butter, divided
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup milk
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream or heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons sweet paprika
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts or 12 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 pound Gouda cheese, shredded
- 1 pound extra-wide egg noodles
- 1 round tablespoon poppy seeds
- 1/4 cup chives, finely chopped
Roast the peppers under the broiler with the oven door slightly ajar to allow the steam to escape. Place the charred peppers in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap. Let cool to handle; peel and seed. Place the peppers in a food processor with the onion, parsley, garlic, thyme and chicken stock. Puree until smooth.
Pre-heat the oven to 375°F.
Bring a pot of water to a boil for the noodles.
Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a medium size saucepot over medium heat. Whisk in the flour, cook for 1 minute, then whisk in the milk and season with salt and pepper. Stir in the sour cream or heavy cream and thicken the sauce. Combine with the paprika and pepper puree.
Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons EVOO, two turns of the pan, over medium-high heat in a large skillet. Season the chicken with salt and pepper and brown on both sides. Transfer to a shallow baking casserole; top with sauce and cheese and bake for 20-25 minutes to finish cooking the chicken through and brown the top.
While the chicken is in the oven, cook the egg noodles to al dente. Drain and return them to the hot pot. Toss with remaining 3 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces, and season with salt, pepper, poppy seeds and chives.
Serve the chicken with egg noodles alongside with extra sauce poured over the top or passed at the table.