Indian Lamb Burgers with Green Raita Sauce and Red Onions
Experience the tastes of India with spicy lamb burgers. Serve with Spicy Saffron Potato Salad.
For the green sauce:
- 1 cup plain Greek-style yogurt
- A handful of cilantro leaves
- A handful of mint leaves
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and grated or mashed into paste
- A pinch of salt
- Juice of 1 lime
For the sliders:
- 4 slices small red onion (1/2-inch thick)
- Juice of 1 lime
- Extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), for drizzling
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2 pounds ground lamb
- 2 large cloves garlic, grated or finely chopped
- 1 red or green chili pepper, finely chopped
- 1 1-inch piece of ginger root, grated or minced
- 1 teaspoon each turmeric, ground cumin, ground coriander, smoked sweet or sweet paprika, and granulated onion or onion powder* (1/3 palmful)
- A pinch of ground cinnamon
- Baby spinach leaves
- 8 soft potato rolls or slider rolls, such as Pepperidge Farm brand
Put all of the ingredients for the sauce in a food processor and process until smooth. Transfer to a small serving dish and reserve.
Put the red onion slices in a small bowl and separate the rings. Add the lime juice and drizzle with EVOO. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
Add the lamb to a mixing bowl along with the garlic, chili pepper, ginger, spices, cinnamon and salt and pepper, to taste. Mix to combine. Form the meat mixture into four sections and make two slider-size patties form each portion (eight 3-ounce burgers in total), thinner at the center and thicker at the edges.
Heat a large skillet or a griddle pan with a drizzle of EVOO over medium-high heat. Add the burgers and cook for a few minutes on each side.
Put a few leaves of spinach on each of the bun bottoms and add the sliders. Top with the onions and green sauce. Cover with the bun tops and serve.
*Toast and grind your own coriander and cumin if you have a coffee grinder or spice mill.