Indian Spiced Chickpea and Fire-Roasted Tomato Soup
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil (EVOO), 2 turns of the pan
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cans chickpeas, drained
- 1 small onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin, (2/3 palmful)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 can fire roasted tomatoes (28-ounces)
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- Warm pita, any flavor or variety, toasted
Heat a medium pot with EVOO over medium heat. Add garlic and cook 2-3 minutes. Grind the chickpeas and onion in food processor. Add to pot and cook 5 minutes to sweeten onion. Season the chickpeas with cumin, cardamom, turmeric, salt and pepper. Stir in stock, then tomatoes. Simmer soup 5-10 minutes to combine flavors.
Serve with a dollop of yogurt and warm pita for dipping.